Preferred realtor returning to the USA?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Preferred realtor returning to the USA?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

Surprised to hear that Jeff Hickcox and family have decided to return to the USA. Is the Costa Rican Real Estate market doing that bad…?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Why exactly is it surprising that someone is leaving Costa Rica?

But first let’s get some facts straight, eh?

1. Jeff Hickcox and his family are NOT returning to the USA. After five years of living in Costa Rica they have decided to continue with the plan they have always had which is explore different cultures and, they will be moving to the far East in October.

It’s not my place to say which country but it’s certainly a very “different culture” to what they’ve been used to here and in the U.S.

2. Why is it that when people move out of Costa Rica, some people “assume” that something was wrong?

3. I’ve lived in ten different countries, does that means there was something wrong with all of the ones I’ve left or, does it mean that it was just time for me to move on?

4. As for the Costa Rica real estate market, lots of people are whining and bitching as usual but in the meantime, I interviewed a Realtor this morning who has sold more properties in the past nine months than they did in the previous three years!

5. As far as my geographical region (San José, Escazu and Santa Ana) is concerned, business for the people I recommend in the past three months has been phenomenal.

6. As far as my consulting with developers is concerned, I simply don’t have enough time to meet with everyone who wants to meet with me ..

So yeah! For the losers out there – and we’ve certainly seen many of them run back to Mommy in the U.S. – the Costa Rica real estate market is “doing that bad” but, as always successful entrepreneurs always seem to find profitable opportunities…

“There’s always a bull market somewhere.”

Scott

Imxploring
    Participant

I’d have to agree with Scott… even if things were bad in the Costa Rican real estate market… running back to the US where things are even worse (and are going to sink even lower) would not be the move! Seems CR is weathering he storm pretty well. Sure things are not like they were a few years back… but was that reality anyway?

As for the far east…. good luck… that’s more of an adventure than I’m up for…

rward

I agree with Scott here…Think about it, why would a successful Realtor move back to the U.S. to work? The U.S. market is the WORST it’s ever been. Realtors quitting everywhere. I know of a successful Realtor who made 200k or more every year. Last year he made 27K. Has another job now. Projections are for no improvement for at least 2 years. Costa Rica has to be better than here…..

maravilla

it was not a snap decision either as i know through mutual friends they were investigating several different countries two years ago. they’re young and resourceful. they’d better do their traveling now before the world gets worse than it is.

disser420

Addressing the rumor mill:

First, we are, as Scott said, taking a sabbatical of sorts to explore other regions. I must clarify, however, that I would not call it “moving”, as Costa Rica and particularly Atenas, will remain our “home base.”

I have literally invested blood, sweat and tears over the last five years in the real estate business. Although we still LOVE Costa Rica and intellectually believe in the steadiness of its real estate market, I have lost my passion for the business and have decided to step away to pursue other passions.

For Scott’s part, he will surely recommend someone capable and passionate for the Atenas area, as he always does. I’m forever grateful for his support and, more importantly, his friendship.

Now you may gossip the proper facts at the coffee shops and CR forums.

Best wishes to all!

Jeff H.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I was ‘surprised’ since I do know that you have worked hard here these past few years, and thought that your real estate business was doing well.
    There was no mention of gossip since I do not participate in such nor do I visit the coffee shops.
    Scott was the one who ‘jumped in with his take’ on what I meant…
    Good luck to you all.

2bncr

OK Jeff,

Lets put an end to the intrigue shall we. To where are you moving?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.