Photographing Orchids

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Photographing Orchids

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

On my next trip to CR I would like to focus my photography on plants, flowers and in particular orchids. I was wondering whether anyone might suggest the best area to visit in order to photograph orchids in [b]their natural setting. [/b]

I seem to remember on my very first trip about 12 years ago that Monteverde cloud forest was a good spot for orchids but not sure if there are other good options. Please advise.

Thank You.

VictoriaLST

Lankaster Gardens, east of San Jose, was started by a Brit in the 1940-s and is now run by the university. He was an orchid fanatic and the U has preserved the property and orchids.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Maybe you won’t find orchids but if you are in a rural area, walk around looking very carefully and you will be surprised with what you can find….although you may have a hard time identifying them.
    [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/costaricafinca/More/IMG_3297cr_zps8761e88a.jpg[/img]

Is this an orchid? No, it isn’t. It is a weedy ground cover with individual blooms that are under 1/8″ each.

Check out Wilson Botanical Garden, San Vito de Coto Brus, CATIE Botanical Garden, Orchimex located near Puntarenas and Elsie Kintzler botanical garden near Sarchi.

Costa Rica’s national flower, Guaria morada blooms around February.
    Of course, what species will be flowering will depend on when you actually visit.

VictoriaLST

Some of the species flower for only one day, some are extremely tiny, and some are so high in the trees that they are hard to see. Lankaster Gardens has their orchids in natural settings for better pictures as do the other gardens mentioned. Best to start there. Check the Arenal Gardeners Facebook page for a nice picture of a wild orchid just hanging out on one of my trees.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.