Perpetual Tourists

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Perpetual Tourists

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

Important article this morning, regarding [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/]Perpetual tourists[/url] and re-entry in Costa Rica.

plasticbrad

Good article, thanks

chetohrt

For a non-resident, I wonder if the provision stating that
    one cannot go to the same country twice (in a row?)between
    90 day visas would apply to a persons country of origin?

jdocop

post removed so as to avoid any risk of offending forum members.

kimball

It seems as though they want people to invest in CR and employ the citizens but not live there. I think that some of these new laws will negatively impact CR in the long run.

CR used to be the place to bring your wealth and live the pura vida. I bet alot of people are going to sell their properties and look elsewhere.

jdocop

I fail to see the logic in your position. What makes you think that the number of gringos who live here is so great as to make such a significant impact on the overall economy of this nation? “bring your wealth and live the pura vida……..” ???? What does that mean? You expected to come here with no strings attached? It really is not, and has not been all that difficult to obtain legal residence here!

costaricabill
    Participant

I’m not sure a “country of residence” is included in this new twist to the law, but we won’t know until the law is actually published and all of the twists are incuded. Keep in mind, this is a news article, not the actual law, but the article states:
    “The rule that a tourist cannot renew a visa by traveling to the same adjacent country twice is a new concept. That means a perpetual tourist living near the Nicaraguan border can visit that country once. But the next visa renewal will have to be at some other country.”
    It appears that they are trying to limit the use of “adjacent” countries (Nicaragua & Panama) as the countries to “escape” to for a visit to satify the 90-day rule. Maybe the new law will also clarify whether the “escape” must be for 72 hours or for 24 as many people argue. But wait, why would I think a new Costa Rican law will “clarify” anything?

maravilla

there is something in the law that says if you go to that country a second time you have to stay 15 days, not just 72 hours. after reading other boards, it appears that this law will have the most impact on those who have been perpetual tourists for years, never gotten residency, and who have less than $1000 a month in benefits. someone else quoted a stat that said most SSA recips only get about $800 a month, so i guess that will disqualify some people from either coming here in the first place, or force them back to the US or force them to get residency in order to stay. think of the drain on resources should poor perpetual tourists get seriously sick in this country and wind up in the hospital.

chetohrt

And how would limiting a person from visiting Costa Rica
    frequently (say three ninety day visas a year with several
    weeks between each..visiting family in the states/country of
    origin) be useful for controlling Illegal immigration? I don’t see the logic. If the intention was to prevent using Nicaragua
    or Panama as perpetual 72 hour stopovers why not
    just state this? It would seem that one would eventually
    run out of options if the same country/stopover point could never be used again in any type of sequence.

maravilla

i think it does state “neighboring countries” or something like that. that would be NI or Panama. we’re not talking about people who come to costa rica to visit. we’re talking people who live here year round, who have been here for years, who either pay to get stamps in their passport or scoot across the border once every 90 days, often for just a day. are they trying to weed out those who have less than a grand a month in income? quite possibly. no country wants an influx of people who have only a little bit of money to live on and who aren’t eligible for CAJA for their medical needs. isn’t this one of the gripes of the US that immigrants use the hospitals for routine medical care and then don’t pay?

juliab

It appears to be just another sensation..
    If the “proposed” regulation (not a law) passes, the CR economy will be crushed. No, I’m not talking about perpetual tourists from US, Canada and Europe. I’m talking about thousands of semi-legal Nicaraguans who legally come on tourist visa, but work illegally in the agriculture. Most of them never obtain a Work Visa as it takes some money and time.
    Again, I’m not talking about much smaller group of illegal Nicaraguans (who hike for 3 days around the border). They won’t get affected by such a regulations, but I doubt that anyone in their right mind would want to get rid of all those semi-legal hard-working folks from Nicaragua that will be negativey affected by the “proposed” regulation.

jdocop

post removed so as to avoid any risk of offending forum members.

maravilla

they’re aren’t going to toss the Nicas anymore than the US is going to toss all our immigrant workers. would YOU work in a slaughterhouse or spent 10 hours a day in a field picking strawberries? and john is right. those workers don’t have passports to be stamped.

kimball

Don’t kid yourself big fella. Here is an interesting article that talks about foreign investment and its impact on the CR economy.

http://www.ticotimes.net/daily.htm#story1

jdocop

??? did you read the article? It is talking about a possible future plan, not what exists today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.