Middle Aged Single Group

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Middle Aged Single Group

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jasman

I am a 54-year-old gentleman who is looking forward to my first visit to Costa Rica this coming summer. My plan is to retire to Costa Rica in about 4 years. In the meantime, I would like to build a network of online friends who are already living in Costa Rica. I would like to get to know them via emails and forums such as this one, and then make it a point to meet them in person next summer.

I am sure that there are many people around my age group who are expats from the U.S. and Canada, and I would like to hear from them about the possibility of forming a social group of middle-aged singles who can meet either weekly or monthly for social events, etc. Please tell me what you think of this idea.

Thank you,

John.

terrycook

hi, I am 57, married and plan to move to C.R. in the next 30 day or so. I will be looking the country side over before my wife retires in 3-4 years. I will be looking for work of some type and hope to set up ground for our retirement…I will be glad to let you know how it goes…a big move for me but I do love C.R. and greatly appriciate the We Love Costa Rica site for our benifit…
    terry Cook
    cookterry@sbcglobal.net

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yeah! But Terry

Don’t let your wife see this because the first gentleman was posting about “middle aged singles” and obviously – you are not single ๐Ÿ™‚

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think that’s a great idea and if you can think of any way that I might be able to help you, please let me know.

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. Do you have an references that could confirm that you are indeed a “gentleman”? ๐Ÿ™‚ Only kidding …

terrycook

Jasman….ScottO poked fun at me and said not to let my wife find out about this (he and I are fast becoming good friends from this venue.) you can read my message but bottom line is I would like to make friends with singles or married folks…I am married for 34 years but will be in C.R. prior to my wife retiring. I have no “single” attitudes or intentions but would love to put you on my email list and meet up with others just to be able to share experiences (both good and bad) about our moves,needs,and support.

Terry From Texas

jasman

You guys crack me up!

Terry, I would love to meet you, and your wife, when the time comes. Actually my post was about two different things, making friends online that I would like to eventually meet in person, and the singles group. I knew exactly which “category” you were in. Scott is a troublemaker, I can tell! ๐Ÿ˜€

Looking forward to next July! I just got my passport yesterday! I’m ready!

John

nomad

I am also single, middle-aged and plan on moving to CR in this year.
    Would love to meet more people, I have traveled the world enjoy foreign films, fine wines and outdoor activity. Do you have any groups that plan activities such as these??

Deborah

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you guys want to try and arrange a social GROUP type thing, I would be glad to try and help. Something simple like the MAD group ๐Ÿ™‚ for us middle aged diners…

For about 18 months I arranged a monthly ‘Night Out’ for my investment clients and attorneys that I knew but to be blunt, it got to the stage where I was forking out too much money for people that hadn’t paid their full share for whatever reason.

There are no restaurants that will give separate tabs for 40 people and one night I paid nearly $200 in addition to my tab and was not pleased … I make a good living but that’s not right.

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jasman

I think, in order to be successful, the “group” would have to be managed and organized. Participants would have to be screened to keep out the “wierdos” and predators. Male and female members would have to be balanced. The focus would have to be on group activities, rather than dating opportunities. One-on-one pairing can be done outside of the organized activities. I envision trips to the theater and museums and other points of interest, overnight trips to national parks, house parties, dances, dining out as a group, etc. Once I’ve made the move to Costa Rica, I would be happy to organize such a group. I think the optimum size of a group activity would be about 8 people, or 4 couples.

Edited on Feb 13, 2006 20:24

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sounds like a lovely idea Jasman but, I’m not sure what the definition of ‘weirdo’ is – You and I may fall into that category ๐Ÿ™‚

How do you anticipate screening people?

But seriously, there is a surprising amount of world-class entertainment here in this little country.

Madam Butterfly was spectacular a few months ago, we’re off to see Puccini’s La Boheme in ten days and for those of you that like Richard Clayderman – He’s playing tomorrow night at the Hotel San José Palacio at 8pm

Scott

breezygirl7

Hi John,
    Thanks for the invite. It sounds like fun to meet new friends with similar interests. Where are you from? What is your plan when you travel down there this summer? Are you just visiting for a week or so or it is for a longer stay? If I happen to be there during your visit I will probably be in the area of Cuidad Quesada, although I tend to wander around a bit. There’s just so much to see and everyone suggests traveling around the country as much as possible before deciding on one specific place to live. Keep me posted as to the plans as they develop.
    Terri

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.