Living into clouds?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living into clouds?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sprite

I have driven the route to san ramon a half dozen times and nevre saw any fog but I never drove at night or early in the morning. That route is not nearly as scary as the one which passes through Quesada, although there were a few bridges which gave me pause.

maravilla

The turn-off to San Ramon (from Zarcero) that goes through Volio, is absolutely paved, and is a beautiful drive. It’s the turn-off to the right where the big blue building is. Missing that causes you to wind up in Naranjo and then you have to cut down to the pista and back up north. That particular day it was raining AND foggy, so you couldn’t really go more than about 20 mph, or less in some spots because you couldn’t even see the road. This was at 2 p.m. It’s very stressful driving because people will still pass cars even if they can’t see a bleepin’ thing ahead!!

sprite

In front of me on that drive was a mother and her three year old. He was in the back seat loose, no child set. He was standing and facing us. As her car made the sharp curves, he would fall out of sight and then climb back up to look some more. This went on for about thirty minutes all the way into Quesada.
    Is this normal behavior for Costa Rican parents to transport toddlers with no restraints?

maravilla

Pretty much that’s the case. Come on, we all grew up doing that too. Remember when there was no such thing as a carseat?? Or seatbelts? Everytime I see a similar incident — like 5 or 6 kids in the back of an open pick-up truck having the time of their lives — I always say, “Boy if this were the States that parent would get 3 – 5 for child endangerment!

*Lotus

They recently passed a new law requiring child seats or pay a big fine. I was wondering what the road to San Ramon was like from Arenal, not the one I took by way of Quesada.

sprite

The road to San Ramon is OK. There was a dodgy bridge around La Tigra,though. But nearly all smaller bridges are in abourt the same shape. That one reminded me of the bridge on the way to Quepos.

Edited on Jan 13, 2009 10:11

sbw1977
    Participant

We took the road from La Fortuna to San Ramon on Jan. 5th. Light clouds & some rain that day, no heavy fog. There was 2 or 3 places where one lane of the road had collapsed for a short distance, a little unsettling driving around those places. Other than that, the general condition of the road was pretty good.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.