Income Tax Evasion in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Income Tax Evasion in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

For those of you who speak fluent Spanish, this short video explains quite clearly how so many “professionals” pay such ridiculously miniscule amounts in income taxes ….

aguirrewar

It has been happening for YEARS. Some Profesionals keep 2 set’s of BOOKS for accounting purposes

Are we really surprised by this NEWS???

Warren

smekuly

pura vida 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”aguirrewar”]Are we really surprised by this NEWS???
    Warren[/quote]

I am not surprised because I know many “professionals” who only pay token amounts but I certainly find the actual amount paid surprising.

The commentator speaks of how so many “professionals” pay the equivalent of 3,000 colones per month (about US$6) in income taxes when an engineer or doctor would earn way more for one consultation than what they pay in total income taxes for the whole year.

That’s just bloody silly!

I can guarantee you one thing, this is an issue that will not go away. They will find a way to ensure that professionals working in Costa Rica will pay significantly more income taxes in the future.

The working class Ticos are understandably furious and IMHO, this would be the perfect time to try and push through a flat income tax of say 10% at source for all professionals…

Vamos a ver!

Scott

sprite

Income taxes are inherently most unfair to working wage slaves. Perhaps that is why they are so popular with the upper classes who install politicians and help design the laws and decide which ones to enforce to accommodate their need for greed. A national sales tax would be the most fair way to fund a government’s spending.

I know nothing of how Costa Rica structures or enforces its tax regulations. But I do know that there has been concern expressed by experts over a growing economic class divide happening in Tico-land. This all sounds so familiar to my North American ears. And look what has happened in my country! Let’s see how much power the people still have in Costa Rica.

aguirrewar

Maybe it is time to:

Occupy “La Casa Presidencial”

then Laura will listen and understand

a National sales tax affects the poor more than the upper middle class or RICH, having a fair income tax based on your bracket of income is far better

if I earn 500,000 colones and pay 15% = 75,000

but if it is 1,000,000 then it is 150,000

1,000,000 divide by 500,000 = 2

and 2 people making 500,000 pay 150,000 the same as 1 making 1,000,000

bet you; there are thousands making 500,000 compared to those making 1,000,000

Math does not LIE, Politicians HATE the real Math

sprite

[quote=”aguirrewar”]Maybe it is time to:

Occupy “La Casa Presidencial”

then Laura will listen and understand

a National sales tax affects the poor more than the upper middle class or RICH, having a fair income tax based on your bracket of income is far better

if I earn 500,000 colones and pay 15% = 75,000

but if it is 1,000,000 then it is 150,000

1,000,000 divide by 500,000 = 2

and 2 people making 500,000 pay 150,000 the same as 1 making 1,000,000

bet you; there are thousands making 500,000 compared to those making 1,000,000

Math does not LIE, Politicians HATE the real Math[/quote]

Having such a large difference between incomes is the real problem. Free markets were supposed to supply accurate price discovery and establish fair recompense for all grades of labor and services. It never worked too well because there are always ways to game any monetary system and so we never really had truly free markets or fair wages.

Taxing spending rather than income is the most fair way to go if we must stay in this stupid system. Essentials such as food, clothing and housing could be exempted from taxation so that subsistence incomes would not be affected.

You just cannot have a healthy society with so much disparity between incomes. Income disparity divides people just as gated community walls do. You end up with a sick society comparable to an individual with multiple, conflicting personalities.

waggoner41

[quote=”aguirrewar”]Maybe it is time to:

Occupy “La Casa Presidencial”[/quote]

y Edificio Central.
    Tal vez es momento para una revolución.
    Suena muy bien a mí!

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qeFj6hrW1io/TdkG7gcJ_JI/AAAAAAAAAOU/G0r24LZduek/s1600/Sin+Casa%252C+Sin+Trabajo%252C+Sin+Futuro%252C+Sin+Miedo+15M+Spanish+revolution.jpg[/img]

sprite

Love the sign! Viva la revolution!

agarcia

Instead of ‘Sin Miedo’ the last line of that sign could also be ‘Sin Educacion’ or any number of reasons why this person expects society to ‘give’ him a job. Get some initiative and stop expecting everthing to be handed to you.

sprite

[quote=”agarcia”]Instead of ‘Sin Miedo’ the last line of that sign could also be ‘Sin Educacion’ or any number of reasons why this person expects society to ‘give’ him a job. Get some initiative and stop expecting everthing to be handed to you.[/quote]

Not only are you without compassion, you are without common sense enough for self preservation. You must be dimly aware that you are dependent upon many other people for anything and all that you have. Only hermits surviving in the wild like an animal can make the claim that they depend upon no one for their survival…and even then, they will have a debt to culture and whatever society from which they sprang for whatever education obtained.

I am afraid the one who needs to carry a sign that says “sin educacion” is you.

agarcia

Thanks for your concern sprite but it is misplaced. Enjoy your sad and resentful life. If you are concerned then give that guy a job.

sprite

[quote=”agarcia”]Thanks for your concern sprite but it is misplaced. Enjoy your sad and resentful life. If you are concerned then give that guy a job.[/quote]

I think instead I will focus on educating you and bringing you out of that cesspool of ignorance and rabid right wing reactionary pooh. Let’s consider this effort as my contribution to making a better world, one person at a time. 🙂

clayton

WOW Sprite, I’m sure that cesspool of a mouth or finger tips in this case will take you, and the rest of the world far. Good luck.

agarcia

[quote=”sprite”]I think instead I will focus on educating you and bringing you out of that cesspool of ignorance and rabid right wing reactionary pooh. Let’s consider this effort as my contribution to making a better world, one person at a time. :)[/quote]

Wait sprite. Allow me time to lather on some SPF 30 before your light of knowledge washes over me. I may need some hip waders too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.