Cookies

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cookies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

Maybe I’m the last one to know all this, but I’ve recently learned about how Internet websites are using the cookies they write on your hard drive to manipulate the information that’s made available to you.

I’ve read an account of how it is that, if you’re shopping for airfare, the travel sites write a cookie on your disk and from then on you’ll never see a better price for that trip on that date. You can go to a different website, come back another day, it doesn’t matter. That’s the best price you’ll see . . .

. . . unless, that is, you clear your cookies before resuming shopping for that trip.

The New York Times limits you to reading twenty news articles or columns per month for free. After that, you have to become a paid subscriber . . .

. . . unless, that is, you clear your cookies when the Times pops up its little warning window. Clear your cookies and you’re good to go for another twenty stories.

And just yesterday, Marcia was shopping for an e-book on Amazon’s Kindle book site. It was listed for $8.99. Then she went to Apple’s iBook store where it was $11.99, so she went back to the Kindle store to buy it and guess what!?! It was $11.99 . . .

. . . unless, that is, she first cleared her cookies. Then the Kindle price was back to $8.99!

My guess is that these are not the only websites that are using this little trick, so if you’re comparison shopping for something on the Internet, make a note of where you saw the lowest price, clear your cookies, and go back there to make your purchase.

Of course, shipping costs may make the calculation come out differently.

crltd

been a while since someone has posted info that is this interesting on this blog.
    thanks david..
    bob

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]
    The New York Times limits you to reading twenty news articles or columns per month for free. After that, you have to become a paid subscriber . . .

. . . unless, that is, you clear your cookies when the Times pops up its little warning window. Clear your cookies and you’re good to go for another twenty stories.
    lculation come out differently.[/quote]

Thanks. It WORKED!!! I had just got the 20-article warning. In FIREFOX, go OPTIONS–>PRIVACY and look for cache. Then enter NYTimes in the search field. Select the NYTimes cookies. It worked! Thanks.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Cookies can be quite beneficial for the consumer but of course they are also abused…

Did you read this?

Facebook tracks your every move, even after logging out

The most recent “News Feed” modifications, for example, display everything you say and do on the site to all of your “friends,” and even to the public. And now, even after logging out of Facebook, permanent “cookies” track all your movements on websites that contain Facebook buttons or widgets.

[ http://www.naturalnews.com/033713_Facebook_tracking.html ]

Scott

bogino
    Participant

I make it a habit that after every session on my PC I go to “tools” and I delete all “history”..”Cache” and “cookies”.

*Lotus

Very interesting David, thank you! I have always known I am being followed, especially when I am playing online scrabble and suddenly I am getting ads popping up regarding items I searched for days before. Coincidental or cookies?8)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.