Change in the gun laws…

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Change in the gun laws…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

I had reported elsewhere that we had been made aware of a possible change in the gun law.
    Well, we picked up paperwork today from the gunsmith that was released for the public,on Nov.29 ’10. The website is [url=”http://www.msp.go.cr/#”%5Dhere%5B/url%5D although I can’t find this same information. A phone number to contact is 2586-45-03
    Basically it says if one has lived here less than 5 years, you must produced a copy of your good conduct/police report that you produced for immigration.
    Maybe someone can find out more?

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s my understanding that we have always needed a police report – I needed it to begin with and again to renew…

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

But being a permanent resident is not now necessary….

OTTFOG

What is the website URL for information regarding the new gun laws? The link from your post returned me to the forum. Thanks! Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

You can read all about the 7530 law

Or …..

LEY No. 7530: LA ASAMBLEA LEGISLATIVA DE LA REPÚBLICA DE COSTA RICA DECRETA: LEY DE ARMAS Y EXPLOSIVOS

At:

[ http://www.icd.go.cr/sitio/downloads/uploads/web_icd_pdf/ln_pdf/l_pdf/12.%20Ley%207530.pdf ]

OTTFOG

Thanks! I hope to accompany you soon for recurrent training… 😀 Jerry

rexman2

[quote=”Scott”]You can read all about the 7530 law

Or …..

LEY No. 7530: LA ASAMBLEA LEGISLATIVA DE LA REPÚBLICA DE COSTA RICA DECRETA: LEY DE ARMAS Y EXPLOSIVOS

At:

[ http://www.icd.go.cr/sitio/downloads/uploads/web_icd_pdf/ln_pdf/l_pdf/12.%20Ley%207530.pdf ][/quote]

Scott,
    You assume we can all translate Spanish 🙂 Is there an English version?
    We are planning on moving to CR in the next few months. This is my first post but haven’t needed to post much since everyone has done a great job with information already. I am sure that we will be posting some questions later as we look for some specific info we can’t find through searching the forum.

One question on guns, I love guns, have always had guns since 12 y/o and always will have. I spent time in the Army and have a concealed permit here. I am a firm believer in gun rights but I am also a firm believer in the responsibility and need to train and maintain skills. Here where I live we have enough land I can shoot adn practice practically any time. If I want to go out practicing, or plinking, do you have to go to a range or can you find a farmer with land that will allow you to practice?

Looking forward to more research.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Read the newest [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/032411.htm]’proposal’ of the gun law[/url]
    We applied when the the rules changed, again, a few months ago, and it seems that there are still problems regarding the ability of a [b]non-permanent resident[/b] to purchase a weapon, according to the gunsmith in Liberia.

maravilla

before you move to costa rica, you should learn spanish!

rexman2

I know Spanish but there is a difference in being a little conversant and translating a legal document.
    Working on my Rosetta Stone to refresh my Spanish I took in college years ago.

Versatile

[quote=”rexman2″][quote=”Scott”]You can read all about the 7530 law

Or …..

At:

[ http://www.icd.go.cr/sitio/downloads/uploads/web_icd_pdf/ln_pdf/l_pdf/12.%20Ley%207530.pdf ][/quote]

Scott,
    We are planning on moving to CR in the next few months. This is my first post but haven’t needed to post much since everyone has done a great job with information already. I am sure that we will be posting some questions later as we look for some specific info we can’t find through searching the forum.

One question on guns, I love guns, have always had guns since 12 y/o and always will have. I spent time in the Army and have a concealed permit here. I am a firm believer in gun rights but I am also a firm believer in the responsibility and need to train and maintain skills. Here where I live we have enough land I can shoot adn practice practically any time. If I want to go out practicing, or plinking, do you have to go to a range or can you find a farmer with land that will allow you to practice?

Looking forward to more research.[/quote]

GOOGLE TRANSLATE is your friend!

[quote=”Versatile”][quote=”rexman2″][quote=”Scott”]You can read all about the 7530 law

Or …..

At:

Scott,

Looking forward to more research.[/quote]

GOOGLE TRANSLATE is your friend![/quote]

LOL. Yep, GOOGLE TRANSLATE is my friend. And Maravilla, please stop shoulding on everybody. All your posts have a very negative undertone to them. Just saying.

maravilla

huh? yes, i said you SHOULD learn spanish! This is a spanish-speaking country, more people speak spanish than english. if you do not speak spanish, you will be relegated to hanging out with only gringos, and if that’s what you are going to do, why not just stay where you are?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

maravilla, I agree that one should work on becoming conversant in basic Spanish in order to live comfortably in Costa Rica. It’ll make daily life much more convenient. That said, however, there are myriad reasons for living here that have nothing to do with interacting socially with Spanish-speaking people.

If I never spoke to another Costa Rican, whether in Spanish or in English, I’d still love living here.

maravilla

i admit i just don’t get that because there is no way to understand the culture without speaking the language. it’s not just about being able to buy a quart of milk, or a screw at the ferreteria. i love latin culture so for me being able to discuss ideas, literature, history, political thought, hopes and dreams are the things that enrich my life in a foreign country. some of my most rewarding experiences in this country were conversations with poor farmers who spoke not a word of english. i guess i take multi-lingualism for granted — my husband speaks 6 languages, and i speak 4, and spanish was the easiest to learn and one of the most beautiful and funny with all the little dichos. i would love living here, too, even IF i didn’t speak spanish, but it could just as well be any other place on the planet because without the language there is an element of isolation that separates you from them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.