Car Rental Issue

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Car Rental Issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sbw1977
    Participant

Several weeks after returning from our Christmas trip to CR we received an email from our car rental company with an attached bill for damages to our vehicle. When checking our van in during the inspection there was a small stone chip in the plastic cover over the driver’s side headlight. That was recorded and the clerk said it would be processed to see if we had to pay for repairs. We signed our paper work and went on our way.
    We’ll, looking over the email we found an invoice for $253 in damages. Besides the SMALL stone chip, a dent appeared in the driver’s side door that was not there during the inspection. From the photo it looks like a blunt object was used to make the dent.
    We have made several attempts to contact the company (Economy Rental Cars) to dispute this with no response. We talked with the owner’s in Liberia when we rented the van and got their personal email address, but have misplaced it. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Very disappointing to have a great trip end with this kind of a rip off.
    I’ve read of other rental issues, to avoid this one I would advise people to take pictures of their rental with the date setting on when returning it, maybe with a clerk standing in the pictures, if only to discourage this type of activity.

P.S. Our trip was great. Will post a few pics.

Imxploring
    Participant

Notify your credit card company immediatly (assuming you used a card) NOT to process any charges from this vendor. If they tell you they can’t, CLOSE the account. A friend returned from trip and was hit with several charges after the fact. And this was after the drop-off inspection during which no damages were noted! He disputed them and the company backed down. I’m pretty sure it was the same outfit!

It seems this type of activity is becoming more common with some of the rental car companies. I guess business is tough and any source of income will do! Rentals are already TOO expensive in CR… shame they have to play this game!

Don’t let this ruin a great trip!

Edited on Mar 07, 2009 10:11

grb1063

Learned a trick after our supposedly on-the-cheap experience on our 2nd trip. I have a corporate Platinum AMEX card and when I charge the rental car, I contact AMEX and let them know what the max. ammount will be and not to authroize anymore than the amount. This stops the companies from charging an additional amount after one attempt.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

grb, do you know if you can do that with VISA or MasterCard?

And . . . Is anyone using a Discover card here?

gelman13

Hello- I have been to CR twice with my girlfriend for some dental work, and rentals are the same as in the States. Go over your rental LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO BUY IT. Note ALL dings, dents, scratches, burn marks, etc. I used to be a car dealer, which helps. But you have to PROVE the damage existed BEFORE you took possession, or you’re gonna be SOL. MARK EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON THE RENTAL TICKET, EVEN BIRD POOP. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT!!! INSPECT IT!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.