Ants Ants and More Ants

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Ants Ants and More Ants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    davidd

Hi guys

does anyone have a successful remedy for these tiny ants.. they are like everywhere in the house..

not the single file ants

but these smaller quick little buggers

I am having nightmares that they get into all my food.

thanks

barbara ann

crsam of wheat if you can find it, I think there is a costa rican version but don’t know the name in Spanish. wherever you see ants coming from just put about a teaspoon or tablespoon, a small mound…the ants eat it, the moisture in their bodies make them blow up or expand. found it on a show in Arizona and it works on small ants. it is organic and cheap

VictoriaLST

Mix about 1/3 boric acid with 2/3 grape jelly and spread about 1/2 teaspoon out in spots where you have seen ants. Its amazing. They will gobble it up, go home, and die.

[quote=”davidd”]Hi guys
    Always keep the area extra extra clean and dry. Wipe down several times a day and over night with vinegar water and or dish detergent. Solution.

does anyone have a successful remedy for these tiny ants.. they are like everywhere in the house..

not the single file ants

but these smaller quick little buggers

I am having nightmares that they get into all my food.

thanks[/quote]

pebo1

Well there are various methods all which may keep them at bay from kitchen especially.

We tried spreading bay leaves which also helps. We also bought a couple of the Raid ant traps which also appear to be working.

They’ll likely come back as they’re persistent and numerous.

Good luck!

costaricafinca
    Participant

In the past we have used a mix of 1 part boric acid to 4 sugar

VictoriaLST

Yup – the boric acid mix is terrific. To see some natural solutions to leaf cutter ants, try the Facebook page for Arenal Gardeners.

davidd

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Mix about 1/3 boric acid with 2/3 grape jelly and spread about 1/2 teaspoon out in spots where you have seen ants. Its amazing. They will gobble it up, go home, and die.[/quote]

where do you buy boric acid here in costa rica?? some great solutions.. thanks

costaricafinca
    Participant

You can purchase it at any pharmacy.

waggoner41

Diatomaceous Earth works for us. Nontoxic, it is the crushed skeletal remains of diatoms that cuts into the way coating of insects causing them to dehydrate.

It is totally safe for use around kids and animals. We also rub it into the coats of our animals to prevent fleas and ticks.

DE is used in swimming pool filters and can be purchased at any pool supply outlet.

rf2cr
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You can purchase it at any pharmacy.[/quote]

Also available in the spice section of most supermarkets.

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”Rf2cr”][quote=”costaricafinca”]You can purchase it at any pharmacy.[/quote]

Also available in the spice section of most supermarkets.[/quote]
    Probably a dumb question but why is boric acid in the spice section?? ;-D

salamander
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″]Diatomaceous Earth works for us. Nontoxic, it is the crushed skeletal remains of diatoms that cuts into the way coating of insects causing them to dehydrate.

It is totally safe for use around kids and animals. We also rub it into the coats of our animals to prevent fleas and ticks.

DE is used in swimming pool filters and can be purchased at any pool supply outlet.[/quote]
    I have been researching this and from what I have read the diatomaceous earth found at pool supply stores is toxic. The only non-toxic is food grade. I read that you can find this at feed supply stores but have had no luck in my area (southern Nicoya Peninsula). Anyone found it is their area?

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i]”Probably a dumb question but why is boric acid in the spice section”[/i]? Answer is, ‘because we are in Costa Rica”!

To get rid of the tiny ants, stick to the boric acid and sugar mix, as it really works, but keep it out of the way from pets.

johnnyh

[quote=”costaricafinca”][i]”Probably a dumb question but why is boric acid in the spice section”[/i]? Answer is, ‘because we are in Costa Rica”!

To get rid of the tiny ants, stick to the boric acid and sugar mix, as it really works, but keep it out of the way from pets.[/quote]

Yes that’s right. 2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon boric acid
    1 tablespoon water
    soak liquid into 3 cotton balls
    place outdoors-or indoors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.