absentee landowners

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum absentee landowners

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    salamander
    Participant

I would like to hear from anyone that has purchased land in CR but not moved yet. Just interested in what you do to maintain it while you are not there.

[quote=”salamander”]I would like to hear from anyone that has purchased land in CR but not moved yet. Just interested in what you do to maintain it while you are not there.[/quote]

We just closed on our house and do not plan to live their permanently for several years. We hired a local to provide security, take care of the landscaping, and make improvements occasionally.

twinzor1

Hi. We completed our house in January, and hired a property manager. She is extremely thorough and manages a cleaning team, a fumigating team (every 30 days) and external landscaping. What’s just as important is she also pays all of the bills locally (ICE, etc.) and taxes. Its worked out extremely well.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]twinzor1[/b] I don’t mean to sound [i]disbelieving[/i], but shouldn’t you wait at least a few months before you recommend your manager, after she has done what she said she would do? Unless you meant [i]Jan 2009[/i]?
    I personally don’t think that anyone should recommend any company or person that they personally haven’t used or had experience with and the job [b][i]completed[/i][/b]
    It is easy to ‘talk the talk…’:lol:

twinzor1

I personally don’t think that anyone should recommend any company or person that they personally haven’t used or had experience with and the job [b][i]completed[/i][/b]
    It is easy to ‘talk the talk…’:lol:[/quote]

I haven’t recommended my property manager,hence I didn’t provide her name. Anyway, I’ve used her for years at my other house in Marbella. I was only trying to illustrate the property manager concept to the original poster.

costaricafinca
    Participant

No, you didn’t, but I am sure you understand what I meant since you are obviously pleased with what she done for you, in the past and performed what was expected of her.
    My answer was more to anyone who recommends a company halfway though the process rather than after completion.
    I think the original poster was meaning land not a house, according to another post he made.

salamander
    Participant

That’s true, I was talking about land (but I’m she not he :)) – but I appreciate all input anyway. I hope to hear more!

Minuit

Salamander, I bought a 1000meters lot on a beach near Parrita in 2002. Still struggling with the concession and construction permits, so nothing built there.
    I have no water or electricity fees yet and the only expense was the gardener who keeps it clean and watch precaristas. I pay him 30 000 colones a month, 13 months a year. Plus the municipality taxes which used to be 150$ per year, and now that I just had the concession granted, it raised to $ 2000 a year.
    I am trying to fight this right now, but I don’t see many solutions.
    Hope it helps
    Jo

costaricafinca
    Participant

Oops, sorry, salamander!
    [b]Minuit[/b] on a forum, a few years ago it was ‘discussed’ with many [i]pro’s and con’s[/i] that when one hires anyone to look after a property they should pay their CAJA/INS but of course most people don’t, but if an accident happens on your property, you [i]could be held responsible[/i].
    How long since you applied to build?
    Also hope you manage, to get your land taxes reduced, as that is getting to be as bad as Canadian taxes! Well almost…:lol:

*Lotus

We own 5100M2 and the HOA has people who tend to the grounds. I just paid the taxes myself in Jaco and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was…took 5 minutes! Total with no house for taxes was $35 dollars. HOA is $50 per month.

Minuit

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Oops, sorry, salamander!
    [b]Minuit[/b] on a forum, a few years ago it was ‘discussed’ with many [i]pro’s and con’s[/i] that when one hires anyone to look after a property they should pay their CAJA/INS but of course most people don’t, but if an accident happens on your property, you [i]could be held responsible[/i].
    How long since you applied to build?
    Also hope you manage, to get your land taxes reduced, as that is getting to be as bad as Canadian taxes! Well almost…:lol:[/quote]

You are right CRF, one should pay seguro, and I do pay the employer part and the employee part for my full time guard and gardener where I have a house built. I was never asked and never thought about paying it for the gardner where I have only land and he works only a couple of days every month. I should offer him as his next raise.

About the taxes, I don’t pay half of it on a 20 000 meters with construction in Canada. Don’t really know what to do about it in Costa Rica. I’ve had all kind of trouble getting my concession because I have always refused to pay any tip to anyone. Maybe that is what got them a little mad at me. We shall see how it turns out
    Jo

soldier

We closed on a beachfront in Playa Hermosa, Guancaste in November 2009. We retained a property management company in the area, owned by Americans and Costa Ricans. The monthly cost is $115.00 a month. Which includes weekly home inspection, bill payments etc. We are in a HOA, which takes care of the grounds and security within a gated community.

paumatom

twinzor1- We might be building in the general area of Playa Junquillal in the future. As your house in Paraiso is completed, did you use a local builder? and would you recommend that builder?.

Thanks for any information you might share.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Back to the original question: Absentee landlords.
    Some friends had an ½ Ac. lot with a 2 storey duplex and a cabina on it at Rio Bananito, 20-Km south of Limón.
    And yesterday found that the duplex is gone!
    Nothing to do with the government, just that [i]’persons unknown'[/i] have razed the building and removed the structures along with [i]everything[/i] else.
    And, yes, they were paying a [i]caretaker.[/i]

salamander
    Participant

That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard! Who tears down buildings – I guess they sold the scrap? After catching up on forums today I think this reinforces the opinions people have expressed about living in Limon – I plan to stick to the San Isidro area when I can get there. Someplace with river frontage. But if I buy before I can move, I’m definitely sticking with vacant land!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.