Good news in Tico Times

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Good news in Tico Times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jasman

Hi, everybody.

I just got my December 23 issue of Tico Times, and two stories really interested me. One is, that they are going to issue bonds this year for a major roads project, not just to put band-aids on pot-holes, but to really do some serious repairs. Get this, the idea of selling bonds and re-paying the bonds from future road dept. budgets was described as ‘new and creative’ financing! 🙂

The second thing is, they are going to renew RAIL service between San Jose and Heredia! How cool is that!

Andrew
    Keymaster

The railway line from Pavas to the east side of San José is already back in action, running – it’s very cheap and fairly popular.

The Heredia line is simply a matter of cleaning up the lines that are already there…

Scott

jasman

Scott,

I’m excited about it because I have chosen Heredia as my initial “base of operations” for exploring Costa Rica. Having the opportunity to get to the Capital on a train seems like a lot more fun than a bus or a taxi. And, what would the approximate fare be?

Andrew
    Keymaster

The fare for the Pavas – San Jose train is only 300 colones (.60 cents) but I don’t think they have announced the fare for the Heredia to San Jose train yet.

Can’t imagine that it will be much more than that though … They are projecting that some 90,000 people per day will use the Heredia – San Jose train.

The second phase in 2007 will supposedly electrify the Heredia trains

Scott

terrycook

Scott, did you say 90,000 people per day??? sounds like alot.
    terry from texas

jasman

Yeah, that sounds totally ridiculous! The population of Heredia is around 35,000. How the H**L are 90,000 people going to go between Heredia and San José? No way!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if your numbers are accurate either but I’m actually quoting form the newspaper reports in Costa Rica’s biggest and best newspaper – La Nacion

Scott

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.